Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Why Don't We Know About These?

Soap Nuts are fully sustainable, renewable, offer future forestation potential and are quite possibly the single most effective solution to reducing a huge range of pollutants on our stressed plannet. Mother Nature's gift of soap nuts has always provided us with truly green and exquisitely effective household cleaning and personal care .......Soap nuts are also a totally renewable resource. Each year brings a new soap nut harvest, and the trees have a very long lifespan. Most are exported form India, Nepal and Southern China.

Less than half of the Sapindus Mukorossi soap nuts (the most highy prized and valued of the many specias of soap berry trees) from the Sivalik Hills and Doon Valley regions fo the Himalayans are being harvested and used today. Most end up decomposing in the soils. This is a terrible waste of a valuable resource and economic stimulus for these regions.

Mukorossi soap berry trees may also be cultivatd across other vast regions of the world, typically those areas of highter elevation and relatively steep slopes. Mukorossi trees are extremely hardy, live an average of ninety years and are prolific fruit bearers. They produce fruits for roughly eighty of the ninety year lifespan. Many regions around the largest mountain ranges on nealy every continent presently have lands that provide us little environmental or ecological benefits. Many of these regions would be ideal area for the cultivation of Mukorossi soapberry trees.

Hence soap nut trees offer the world, forestation potential of many otherwise  unproductive lands across the globe. They flourish in poor soil conditions and reduce erosion of valuable top soil. The forests of Mukorossi soap nut trees in Nepal and India are actuallly alien to those lands. They originated in what is now China and were brought to these regions for cultivation. With adequate demand there is no reason many other lands cannot be similarly cultivated and forested.

1 comment:

  1. I've been using soap nuts for a little while but yesterday I was once again incredulous when I put a few squirts of soapnut liquid (more about that in a minit) into a spray bottle of water and began doing windows and really grimy mirrortops in my bathroom surfaces. I cant believe how well it worked. It really seemed better than commercial glass cleaners. There was no streaking and I got instant squeaky brilliance. The liquid I used was not concentrated. All I did was put 3 nuts in a glass pump bottle like you buy for lotions etc, added hot water and let it sit. I use it for doing the dishes and I add more hot water when I'm done. I will put it in the fridge I guess if I don't use it fast enough.

    ReplyDelete